Basic Stuff 7 – Finish Him! Hand-painting and clear coating enclosures. (part 3)

So here’s a few more things I’ve learnt from the third batch of hand-painted pedals.

Firstly, I gave them all a clear coat to help the acrylic take to the pre-painted glossy enclosures. After they dried, I painted them with the posca pens. I gave one more clear coat as described in part 2. There were a couple of bits that needed touching up after the clear coat. I did a final clear coat after that.

After leaving them to dry for a day on the radiator I came back and noticed a couple of issues all on the same bit of one pedal. see below.

voyager-cracked-paint

Firstly I went over the black outline, secondly the black outline was a little weak in one section, thirdly, the eyes hadn’t been filled in well enough, and finally, which was the biggest issue the white paint had cracked in a couple of places.

I’m sure this was because of the paint, and not because of the clear coat. I had let a lot of paint through, and guided it round with the nib of the pen. It looks like this was too much. The problem is, when you have too much paint like that it doesn’t dry well, even with a nice matte clear coat underneath.

I thought I would be able to cover this up with another, thinner coat of white, before giving it its final clear coat. Unfortunately after 3 or 4 attempts, I realised this wasn’t going to happen. Each time the paint dried, the cracks were still there. In the end I decided to just go with the flow and have a cracked skull on the back panel. I went over the outline and the eyes again with black, and went over the cracks with grey, and then a finer black pen to disguise them. I haven’t clear coated this one yet, but here are the results.

voyager-cracked-skull-repainted

Also, quite importantly, when i was boxing these pedals up, I noticed that they were a wee bit sticky, not too bad, but definitely something I’d like to improve on in the future. When I handled the pedals, especially where my hands were clammy (from the sheer concentration), after holding them for a while, there were some fingerprints left on the outside. They rubbed off easily, and like I say, not a problem, but something to think about improving. the first thing I’m going to try is leaving them on the radiator for a full day in between clear coats, instead of blasting them twice an hour apart.

I also have a can of clear coat from a different manufacturer which I might try instead. see below.

americana

If neither of these things work, I’m going to invest in a wee toaster oven to cure the clear coat.

One last note is the cans of Krylon I mentioned in the two previous posts seem to be good for roughly three coats of five pedals.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s